Wellsville
grants conditional use permit for corn maze
By Angel Larsen
September 16, 2005 | WELLSVILLE -- With
Halloween next month, the City Planning Commission on
Wednesday approved a conditional use permit for Jed
Clark's corn maze on the east side of Highway 89-91,
south of Highway 101 and north of 200 South, with the
condition of access only allowed from 200 South.
City Manager Don Hartle said he didn't know if Wellsville
had a corn maze or anything like this before, other
than the one at the American Heritage Arts Center.
Commissioner Loyal Green was concerned with parking
on the roads. Clark said the parking would be on the
sight and not on the street. He said cars would enter
from 200 South and only exit onto Highway 101.
"Use is not an issue," Commissioner Russell Glen said.
"It's the access and Utah Department of Transportation's
stand on it."
"We've got more than one access," Clark said. "It
would be easier to use the highway. In my mind the highway
has a right of way for me and now you are telling me
not to use it."
Commissioner Clark Leatham wondered if the commission
needed to require outhouses. Clark said he was putting
in some already.
"We are putting some pieces of toilet paper in the
maze but not recommending people use them," Clark said.
The commission voted unanimously to approve Richard
Boyce's request to renew an existing advertising sign,
including electrical, on the property on the east side
of U.S. 89-91 north of Toms' service after debating
whether the sign had been maintained or removed. The
new sign code, as of Jan. 5, states no additional advertising
signs can be up except the two already in place and
the existing sign can not be changed or removed but
for routine maintenance, said Commissioner Richard Rawlinson.
"If Rich as the property owner realized it was gone
and immediately put in a new one," Leatham said. "It
can be called maintenance."
"I think it would be reasonable based on what Rich
has told us to allow the sign to stay," Green said.
"We are not looking forever," Boyce said. "But to
just give us a little income for the time being."
Tyron Lewis asked for permission to build a home with
a walk-out basement apartment for a caretaker for his
28-year-old handicapped son. "My wife and I can't look
into putting him into a nursing home," Lewis said. "He
has a great personality and everyone loves him. We can
be selective in who lives there."
The commission recommended changing the code allowing
in all residential zones the possibility of caretakers
living in a home. Hartle set a public hearing for Oct.
12 so the ordinance could be written by then.
The commission reviewed the final plats for:
--Amending the Bassett Minor Subdivision by creating
one additional building lot at 523 south 200 West with
the condition of having the engineer's signature on
the final plat;
--Recommending City Council approval for the Highlands
Subdivision on the west side of Center St. from 1450
South to 1600 South with the changes recommended by
city planner, comments by the city engineer, J-U-B Engineering,
and the city's decision on the open space to be on the
final plat.
Other business the commission addressed:
--Recommendation to amend the zoning code's definitions
part (17.50.010) to clarify the definition of buildable
area.
--Discussion on enforcement of the Home Owners' Association.
--Possible revisions to the subdivision code.
NW
MS |