Index Directories Calendar Libraries Registration, Schedules,
Grades Webmail Webcam Support Utah State
Utah State
Global Nav
University
Search
 









  Features 09/13/02

Sauerkraut Festival gets canned during Providence storm

By Roy Burton

PROVIDENCE -- Last Saturday's annual Sauerkraut Festival was canceled after the parade because of bad weather, and will not be rescheduled.

Councilman Dennis Nelson told the City Council fear of lightning strikes was the determining factor in the cancellation, not just the rain that was falling at the time.

Councilwoman Wendy Simmons said half the booths scheduled to participate had already called to cancel. A youth dance was held that night. Simmons said there were three streakers who ran through the park during the dance, but that the police had already left.

The council is considering changes to the traditional festival, which has been held since 1897.

In the workshop prior to the meeting where the council members discuss non-agenda items, Councilman Dennis Nelson mentioned the possibility of moving the festival to a later time and expanding the dinner which is held in conjunction with the festival. He said it could be moved to an indoor venue toward the end of October or beginning of November and become more craft-oriented, getting a jump on the holiday season.

Moving indoors would also eliminate problems with the weather and allow for more entertainment to be offered to festival-goers, he said. Nelson also said the council should consider seeking sponsors for the dinner so the price would not have to be increased.

Nelson said eliminating the parade might also be considered, to which Mayor Alma Leonhardt said it would not bother him at all if the parade were eliminated. The council took no action on the matter. Leonhardt said it would have to be discussed with community members.

The Saurkraut Festival began in 1897, according to Leonhardt, who said 80 percent of the original settlers of Providence were German LDS immigrants.

In other business, the council unanimously approved every resolution that was brought before them in the meeting Tuesday night.

They approved a bid to replace the sprinkler systems in the cemetery, pending finding funding in the city budget to complete the project. The city allocated $28,000 to the project but the final bid was $52,117. Leonhardt said he felt the project was necessary, and the council voted to approve the bid and discussed borrowing from the general fund to finish the project.

The council also voted to approve the final plat for Creekside Townhomes, an expandable planned unit development located at approximately 350 W. 280 North. The council had previously voted to approve a different plat, the developer said, but changes were made to make the new one more ideal.

The council voted to approve three licenses for home businesses involving gun repair, graphic design and sign making, and a home inspection service. They also voted to clarify the responsibilities of home owners and the city in water line repairs.




NW
MS

Archived Months:

September 1998
October 1998

January 1999
February 1999
March 1999
April 1999
September 1999
October 1999
November 1999
December 1999

January 2000
February 2000
March 2000
April 2000
May 2000
June 2000
July 2000
August 2000
September 2000
October 2000
November 2000
December 2000

January 2001
February 2001
March 2001
April 2001
May 2001
June 2001
July 2001
August 2001
September 2001
October 2001
November 2001
December 2001

January 2002
February 2002
March 2002
April 2002
May 2002
June 2002
July 2002
August 2002
September 2002