|
||||
|
Four families finally at last step before occupying their homes By
Kyle S. Loosle MILLVILLE -- After five motions by the City Council and more than two hours of heated discussion, four property owners in the Family Hills subdivision were given permission to seek a final inspection so they could move into their homes. The motion that finally passed unanimously allowed occupancy permits for the four homes in Family Hills, upon approval of final inspection by the city engineer. The motion also stated no further building permits would be given in Family Hills until the developer completes the improvements listed by the city engineer. The discussion at Thursday night's council meeting involved whether improvements had been completed by developer Milt Anderson, which would allow the council to approve completion of the subdivision. Owners of the four lots in Family Hills had signed a contract agreeing the improvements would be completed before they were allowed to move in. Two of the homeowners came to the meeting to seek an occupancy permit, the last step they needed before calling for a final inspection from the city's engineer. They could not obtain a permit until completion was approved. The council said Anderson still needed to relocate a fire hydrant and produce "as-built" drawings of the subdivision. The fire hydrant on 200 East was located five feet onto private property, and the city engineer requested in a letter that it be moved 10 feet east, off the property. "The area was blue-staked late this afternoon and the hydrant will be moved tomorrow morning," said Anderson. "As far as the as-built drawings go, I didn't know I had to have them to complete the contract." Council members referred Anderson to the city's building requirements, where it says as-builts are needed before completion can be approved. Councilman Larry Lewis described the as-built drawings as identifying infrastructure that can't be seen. They are to outline water, electrical and other important lines and wires for safety reasons, he said. Anderson said he could have the drawing done by midweek, but asked the council if it would approve occupancy permits for the two couples that night. The council denied a variation of four motions in an attempt to allow the families to move in, while still keeping with the city's building codes. Several arguments were heard from residents attending the meeting, members of the planning commission, Anderson and the two couples in attendance. "I don't understand why four building permits were approved [for Family Hills] if the council had concerns needed improvements wouldn't be done," said David Simmons. Lewis explained the council's position of allowing the permits but requiring improvements to be made in the contract, between the city, developer and new homeowners. Simmons asked the council why they weren't sent a letter identifying the remaining improvements. The council said one would be sent out to let homeowners know what was still expected from their developer. Councilman David Mortensen explained he had been given the responsibility of writing the letter. He was waiting for an update of what improvements were still needed, but didn't receive them before the Nov. 1 council meeting. Mortensen said at that meeting, Anderson said he would complete everything by midweek "So I just assumed they would be done and didn't send the letter. Turns out Milt never did them," said Mortensen. "I think we as a council have made some mistakes, and certainly the developer has made some mistakes. I just want to get these families in their home," said Councilman Mike Johnson after hearing everyone's position.
|
Archived Months:
January
1999 January
2000 January
2001 |
||