|
||||
|
Soccer field would meet recreation need, Mendon council hears By
Andrea Nixon MENDON -- More than a dozen residents attended the City Council meeting Thursday for continued discussion about a proposed soccer field in the Pheasant Hollow Subdivision. The debate lasted well over an hour as council members and residents revisited the issue that's been on their minds for months. Neil Jackson, president of Mendon Recreational Council, represented parents and coaches who insist the current soccer fields in the city are inadequate and do not accommodate Mendon's soccer program. "Our biggest need is facilities," Jackson told council members. "The need is immediate." Last year Mendon had 15 soccer teams, he said -- 11 recreational and four competitive -- that involved about 180 kids. Jackson said the number of soccer participants has doubled in the last five years. "We have high registration for a community this size," Jackson said. "We're a draw for soccer. We have a successful program and high school coaches draw players from here." Jackson also said the District 7 Utah Youth Soccer League has mandated that all U14 (youth aged 14 years and younger) and up soccer teams must play on regulation fields. Currently Mendon has only two soccer fields, both of which are undersized and do not meet the 100-yard width regulation. Not only are the fields too small, but there aren't enough to go around. Many times the fields are split in half to allow for two teams to practice at the same time, and some teams have to travel to Willow Valley in Wellsville for both practices and games. Mendon teams play two-thirds of their games away. "What we really need is fields to play games on," said Jackson. Jackson said the proposed field would include new aluminum, moveable goals that would allow soccer players of all ages to use. He also said the field could be used for T-ball and as a temporary minor league baseball diamond, and that there might be room for a playground. "With the number of kids increasing, soccer is not the only problem," he said. Steve Jensen, a resident of Pheasant Hollow Subdivision, said he's not completely opposed to Mendon City building a new soccer field, but he doesn't think the northeast corner of the subdivision is the best place for it. "Our biggest concern is parking," Jensen said. "There's just not room." Mayor Sydney Larsen was also concerned with the parking issue. "If we put a field in there, we'd have to have adequate, safe parking," Larsen said. "I'd have a hard time supporting it [the field] without." Jensen also brought up additional concerns. He said if a soccer field were to be built in the subdivision, the council would have to include the expense of curbs, gutters, and sidewalks in the final cost. Streetlights would also have to be considered as a safety issue because soccer games usually start around 5 p.m. and go until dark. Jensen also mentioned adequate fencing around the facility (to keep loose balls and children out of peoples yards) and the possible construction of bathrooms. Instead of placing the soccer field in the Pheasant Hollow Subdivision, Jensen recommended the city build a sports complex, possibly using the vacant 20-acre piece by the cemetery. Larsen said he is hesitant to use that land for recreational purposes because the cemetery will need to expand in the next few years. Larsen suggested that residents from the Pheasant Hollow Subdivision get together with members of the recreational board and form a committee to come up with a recommendation for the city. Logan Police Chief Richard Hendricks also attended the meeting to explain the monthly increase for 911 services. The 911 Communication Center, which serves all of Cache Valley, will increase the fee residents pay from $1 to $2 a month. Hendricks said the action is "purely driven by technology" and the center plans to use the money to update their computer systems. He said they don't plan on hiring any new dispatchers within the next three years. Councilwoman Leslie Larson questioned the center's right to increase the rate without first getting approval from each individual city. Hendricks said state law permits the fee increase. He also stated that the account is completely separate from all Logan City funds. Hendricks estimates Mendon's contribution to be about $4,800.
|
Archived Months:
January
1999 January
2000 January
2001 |
||